Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Preschool






You have got to admit that this little boy may be the cutest preschooler you have ever seen. Steven and I started talking about him going to school several days before he started. I got him a backpack and took him to pick out a lunch pail which I felt would make it more concrete for him to understand that he really was going to school and it wasn't just something I was saying. He saw this dog lunch bag and knew immediately it was his. He just loves it and has carried it around all week with "treasures" of sorts in it.


On his first day of preschool I went to put him in the car to go and he got upset. He kept saying, "No Mom, I walk to school." I told him it was too far to walk, and he told me, "No Mom, I go to Elises' school." Oops. I guess when we were talking about starting school I should have explained that he would not be going to the same school that Elise goes to, but the thought just didn't cross my mind that he might think that. Once I settled him down and got him to preschool, he saw all the toys and kids and he was sold. I walked him in the class and he immediately found some toys. I stayed for about two minutes longer and told him goodbye. He just said, "Bye Mom, see you later." It didn't even phase him that I was leaving. I, on the other hand, cried all the way to my car.


When we picked him up he was still happy, but he was also very happy to see his mom and his brother and sister. His teacher said that about 15 minutes after I left he put his backpack on, grabbed his lunch box, announced that he was "all done," and headed for the door. She explained to him that they still had to eat lunch, play outside, and do some other fun things before I came to get him and he was just fine with that. He hung his backpack up and rejoined the class. Sometimes he cracks me up! He is at his third day of preschool right now, and so far so good. He is happy to go and has met a few new friends. Good job Steven!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your kids are getting so big! He's the cutest!

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad to hear that he likes it and is doing well!
it was good to chat with you for a few minutes the other day.