Here are some pictures of how the dress ended up, and the shirt I made it from. Like I said, a little small so she may not wear it much, but cute. We may end up giving this one away to someone who it will fit a little better.
Saturday, July 18, 2009
A Dress Experiment
I saw on a blog that someone had made a girl's dress out of an old men's shirt, and I wanted to see if I could do it. Unfortunately, Chris cleaned out his closet a few months back and got rid of all the shirts he doesn't wear anymore. So, when he tossed this white shirt in the wastebasket in our closet last week because the collar wouldn't come clean, I dug it out and decided to see what I could do with it. I had no expectations for how it would turn out, and a lot of the design for it came out of necessity. I sort of cut everything a little too small, so I had to use bias tape on the sleeves and bottom hem instead of a rolled hem to keep it as large as possible, but I think it turned out alright for the first try. The best part of it is that the only thing I bought to make this dress was the heart buttons, so it ended up costing me about $2.50 to make. Not bad. I think I will have to try another one only a bit larger the next time Chris tosses a shirt. I'd like a striped shirt, but beggers can't be choosers so we'll just have to see what happens.
Here are some pictures of how the dress ended up, and the shirt I made it from. Like I said, a little small so she may not wear it much, but cute. We may end up giving this one away to someone who it will fit a little better.


Here are some pictures of how the dress ended up, and the shirt I made it from. Like I said, a little small so she may not wear it much, but cute. We may end up giving this one away to someone who it will fit a little better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







5 comments:
I have been thinking about doing that tutorial as well. The lady that did it is in my ward. It really turned out cute!!!
You are so darn creative and FANCY! You know...I know of a little Mary Ann who loves hearts and dresses made my her mom's crafty friends! :)
Very cute, I am definitely going to have to try one of these!
Kara, this is wonderful! You are sooo creative! And the dress is darling. Especially on Elise!!
I love it, love it, love it! You make the most darling things and I am so wishing that I knew how to sew! When Elise grows out of that dress you can just send it down my way! :)
Post a Comment