Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I must love my nieces and nephews, because...

Every year my family trades names for who to buy for for Christmas, and this year I had my sister Krista's family. I bought a gift for her kids, but I had been sort of kicking the idea around in my head of making "church bags" (crayon and marker totes) for her kids and my kids for Christmas as well. I had done nothing about it, but yesterday afternoon I decided on a whim to go ahead and make the bags, which presented a small problem because I HAD to mail the package today because we are so close to Christmas. So, I started on them after my kids went to bed, and six hours later, Voila... Here they are.

Julia's bag (I used my favorite red velvet material left over from the red velvet coat I made Elise) I LOVE this fabric!:



Ashley's bag:Tyler's bag: (Please don't look closely at all of the crooked stitching lines or the top pocket that is put on so poorly it might fall off within a week)
The problem is I stayed up way too late, and by the time I got to the last bag (Tyler's bag) I didn't even care how it looked, I just wanted it DONE!!! So, I just sort of eyeballed everything, I didn't measure anything, and I made lots of mistakes from hurrying, but I was just too tired to care about fixing them. Oh well, he's a five year old boy so hopefully he won't be too critical of my work. The really big problem is that I actually cut out the materials for 5 bags, 3 for my sister's kids which are done, thank goodness, and two for my own kids which I am now thinking might never get done. I don't even want to look at those bags. If I do get around to them it definitely will not be before Christmas.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Those look great Kara! So how about tow more for my kids. Ha,Ha,Ha... I gave up sewing Fin's nightgown and my stepmom did it. All I have to do is measure the elastic for the sleeves and I haven't even done that yet! Yeah... not a sewer I guess.

Unknown said...

So, when are you going to start sewing and selling stuff? I'd love a bag for my little miss..I'd pay ya for it! :) I'm serious here!

Jordan and Jodi said...

Wow! Great job! One of those bags would take me about a YEAR or so! Great job in ONE night! They will LOVE those bags!